12.04.2004

Operation PB&J

Today was a really good day. I got a late start, but I was able to get out about 25-27 lunches to some displaced/homeless folks down by my towns Urban Ministry. They were having a Christmas parade downtown today, so I just parked there and walked over with most of the lunches packed in my backpack. I was able to make three trips over to everyone, and I'm pretty sure everyone that wanted a lunch got one. I should have made some kind of meat sandwich though, I think. Or at least that's what everyone kept asking me for. I just made PB&J's, but I put a soda, Cheez-its, and a Little Debbie in there too. If you're going to feed someone, give them something you'd like to eat, you know? =) I was able to talk to several of the people that accepted the lunch from me, and the stories they had to tell me about themselves and situations were more than touching. There was a HIV positive man who sat and talked to me about his drug problem. I was able to share with him how I, personally, overcame drugs and the steps one might take to start that journey. There also was a man named Greg who helped me find people that needed food. All I want to tell you now about him, (because I need a whole other post on him), is that he is one of the most content people I have ever met, and Greg is homeless his very self. The more people I talked to, the more I realized how giving and selfless this little community of displaced people were with eachother. Each person I came to telling me who needed the food the most.
As I sit here tonight writing this, I can't help but to feel guilty for taking simple things like heat in my home for granted, especially on a cold night like tonight. I wish so much that I had all those warm clothes they told me they wanted, and I could drive back down there to make sure they all slept in warmth tonight. Let me tell you all something, when I sat there at the end of the day and asked a few of them what they would like to have the most, the answer was clothing. Specifically hats, coats, gloves, and scarves. I want to ask is for every single one of you that read this blog to please take just 10 seconds and pray for the homeless tonight. Pray that they would be safe, and somehow find a way to stay warm this winter.
To those of you who have extra coats, gloves, and hats this winter: please donate them to a shelter for those in need. We have no much excess, and there are so many out there that could use that jacket you haven't worn in 2 years! Have a great Saturday guys!

~Ann

2 Comments...not Spam-ments.:

Darkmoon said...

While I did give away like 6 bags of clothes just lately, I have to say, you still have a bigger heart than I. You go girl.

That Girl said...

You're awesome Ben! =) Maybe you and your GF would like to go with me sometime to hand out the snack bags?

Post a Comment