9.21.2005

American Life

In its 2004 budget, the state of Texas has slashed mental health benefits for the poor, increasing the likelihood that those who are mentally ill will wind up in prison or on death row. Read about it HERE.

11 Comments...not Spam-ments.:

mbondur12 said...

Just another attempt by the liberals to scare everybody. Texas is simply making individuals responsible for their own actions.

People who really need the kind of help you're talking about get it, most of the time at the taxpayers' expense.

And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, because I have been there. Not in jail mind you, but in need of some serious counseling/psychiatric assistance some years ago, and I got it courtesy of the taxpayers of Guilford County.

That Girl said...

We don't need the Liberals in order to get people scared-we just need aa Texan named George.

As for your ridiculous comments concerning mental health: next time you want to comment on a post that includes an article, please read it first.

1) "People who really need the kind of help you're talking about get it, most of the time at the taxpayers expense." I cannot stress enough what a foolish, UNINFORMED, ridiculous statement that is. If you can back ANY of that up with TRUTH and not OPINION-I will most certainly eat crow. In fact, that statement alone makes me so mad I may have to post on the subject.
2)"And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, because I have been there. Not in jail mind you, but in need of some serious counseling/psychiatric assistance some years ago, and I got it courtesy of the taxpayers of Guilford County." I'll be the FIRST to tell you then that you don't have a CLUE what you're talking about unless you've been diagnosed with a CHRONIC mental illness. NO, popping a few Prozac a day because you're getting a divorce doesn't even REMOTELY count, and I'm not talking about myself.

mbondur12 said...

Not that it matters, but I have been diagnosed with chronic depression, so I do happen to know what I'm talking about.

Are there people who fall through the cracks? Of course. However, the greatest majority of people who need mental help do get it. They do have to make a "first step" though. You can't help someone who isn't willing to help themselves.

You know as well as I do that there are government programs available for people who can't pay the bills for everything from housing to food to medical care. It is a bunch of red tape, but it can be done.

That is the largest difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals want the government to be in everybody's business from cradle to grave to make those people dependent on the government instead of depending on themselves and those in local communities (churches).

Also, I am not a large George Bush fan (either one of them). As a Republican who voted for him twice, GWB has let me down greatly. He keeps our borders unsafe by allowing Mexicans and others to flow into the US like ants at a picnic.

He has now gotten us into a mess in Iraq because Daddy Bush didn't have the guts to get rid of Saddam in 1991. Bring those troops home and place them on the border 100 feet apart with orders to use whatever means necessary to stop illegals from coming into the US.

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Policy_News_and_Alerts&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=25092

That Girl said...

I repeat myself, if you have any TRUTH, (see: FACTS), and not OPINION, I will absolutely eat crow. And, AGAIN, READ THE ARTICLE. While you're at it, go volunteer in a few homeless shelters so you can see what severe mental illness looks like untreated. Then maybe you won't file free foodstamp beanie weenie's next to schizophrenia. ::rolls eyes::

mbondur12 said...

There are exceptions to every rule, but a great number of those who are homeless are homeless mostly because of their own self-destructive behavior and not being able to control it (drug addiction, alcoholism, etc.), and having their families and the community get tired of them not owning up to their responsibilities.

I know the Rev. Mike Aiken well, and did my part back in the day with his organiztion through the Scouting movement.

That Girl said...

We could go on about this for weeks. I'm not going to argue for the sake of arguing. You're just "one of those people" who just don't GET mental health. You're a minority in all that you have said. And thats all I'm going to say about that.

mbondur12 said...

Oh I get it. You're "one of those people" who feels like the government owes you and others something simply because you're breathing.

It is high time that people take responsibility for their own actions and live with the consequences of them, good or bad.

What the government does on a daily basis has very little effect on my daily life. What I do (get up and work 2 jobs AND go to school full time with nearly a B average) will have much more effect on the lives of me and my kids.

The best "mental health" is pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps when something bad happens and making something good come of it.

That Girl said...

Wow, you are the one of the most ignorant people I've ever met. "Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" is almost as good as the drinking vinegar for a cough. In fact, why don't you post your information on your blog-then maybe one of those silly Bipolar people, or better yet, a Schizophrenic can finally learn the secret to managing the chemicals in their brain without drugs! I mean come on, if states like Texas aren't going to help them get the drugs/counseling they need to live normal lives, then by God they should hear your advice right? Whats next Mike? People who can't afford to pay the anesthesiologist need to learn to just bite on a piece of wood during an operation? You've become a pestilence on here. Be gone with you...silly, ignorant, republican. I officially ban you from commenting on my site until you get a REAL education. ::Poof::

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed you blog about heart and disease and coronary and gene and therapy. I also have a site about heart and disease and coronary and gene and therapy which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

putting to waste some good money that could have been used in other areas of development for the business involved.

Anonymous said...

Interested in getting a better deal for domain names than you can at co register.com washburn ? Then I might suggest checking the resources available at Register Better . com . No need to pay the high prices found elsewhere, check out the list of places to register better !

Post a Comment