8.15.2005

Back to school for Mommy and Caleb...

Must be an act of God, because my credit is completely trashed at this point of the divorce, but my credit limit was upped $4000. Now I at least have room to put my school costs on it, unfortunately to the tune of a 19% APR. Beggars aren't choosers, right? lol. Anyway, I am going to GTCC's nursing program because it seems to be the cheapest right now. Caleb starts school on the 29th too, and is more excited than I am. This should be a great social outlet for him, as well as an incredible education. I've asked Dan to pitch in for school, but he completely refused. No suprises there really. My parents are paying for Caleb to go, but hopefully in the future I will qualify for financial aid through the school. Anyway, gotta run. Good day to everyone.

5 Comments...not Spam-ments.:

NickVNC said...

Have you looked at any school loans with better APR's than that. That high intrest rate on a devil...I mean credit Card is really going to kill you. Apply for things like Stafford Loans....and others like it. I have not been in school in 9 years so someone more current out there should be able to help more than I.

mbondur12 said...

As someone who is doing it (going to college after years away), I agree with Nick.

Go to the Financial Aid folks there at GTCC (probably somewhere in the Medlin Center) and fill out a FAFSA. You can do it online.

Depending on your income, you may even qualify for some grants like a Pell Grant. The Stafford and Perkins loan rates are something in the neighborhood of 4% to 5%.

Do not put this on a credit card with 20% interest. There are better and cheaper alternatives.

That Girl said...

I will try that for next semester, but I only recently decided I would go back for nursing, and needed the money now. Thanks for the advice though, I will absolutely use it for next semester! =)

mbondur12 said...

Go ahead and fill out the FAFSA online ASAP (just Google "FAFSA" and it should take you there).

The earlier you get the forms in, the better chance you have of getting more money.

Go ahead and talk to the financial aid folks now. That is what they are there for. You may be able to get some money now so you can pay back your credit card before you get killed with interest charges.

I just recently was appointed an adult student "mentor" here at UT, and that is one thing I told people at orientation. You never know what you can get until you speak up and ask! Tell them your story. The worst they can do is say "no".

Good luck! You're making the first step to making your life and your kids' future brighter.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Hey good post. Look at my site if you can. Thanks! earn money

Post a Comment