11.29.2004

Shoes

I'm convinced that God puts people in your life at times like these to show you very specific things. Last week I was down at the Human Services building, and I met a really courageous woman. She had just lost a son this year in Iraq, and a few months later her drug addicted daughter gave birth to an adorable baby girl, who was born addicted as well. She had custody of the baby, since her daughter could not care for her. She had the most beautiful smile on her face, and simply radiated warmth and kindness. There also was a homeless man, I could not help but be tremendously moved by. He came into the lobby with his shoulders sagging, and exhaustion weighing down his eyes. I noticed a lame hand which he held tucked by his side. His hair was matted with dirt, and he was missing most of his teeth on one side. When it was his turn at the desk though, I was absolutely delighted at what I heard come from his mouth. He spoke with eloquence, assertiveness, and had an impeccable vocabulary. The woman gave him a number, and he sat down in a chair a few over from me. He proceeded to take his jacket off, and I then noticed more about what he was wearing. His shirt was tattered, and had a large tear down the back of it. His shoes were worn to the soles, and had almost no heel to them. I couldn't help but think about the new pair of New Balance's I had in my car. So I asked him politely, "Sir, I'm sorry to bother you, but what size shoes do you take?". He told me, and I told him I'd be right back. "Finally having big feet paid off for once in my life as a girl!", is all I kept thinking as I ran out to my car, because we wore the SAME SIZE. Isn't that awesome? (Ok, this is the part that you can make fun of me, because YES I HAVE BIG FEET...ha ha ha.) When I came back in, I gave him the shoes, and apologized to him, saying that I hoped he wasn't offended by my offer. He wasn't, and he did the coolest thing, he quoted some scipture to me from the Bible, but ALSO from the Koran. I'm not going to tell you what he said, because that little part of the story is just for me. But I truly believe that I met those people that day for two reasons: one is because I think God was trying to show me how he does indeed provide, and the second being that I really don't have it as bad as I think I do. There are so many people, right here in my own town, that are hurting more than I could imagine. I am blessed beyond imagination.

4 Comments...not Spam-ments.:

TheShu said...

Ann, that was one of the most touching things I've ever read. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a blogger account, but I read your blog (linked from TheShu) and almost cried (yes, I'm a wussy guy). We need more people in this town of Greensboro like you. My hat's off to you. You can probably get a hold of me through Shu, but if there's anything I can ever do, let me know.

dm

mbondur12 said...

Very cool. One question. You have me very curious since you say your feet are so big...what size shoe do you wear?

Mike

PS

If you don't want to post that info in public for whatever reason, you can e-mail me at mbondur@yahoo.com.

Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love las vegas truck show then you will want to be there! All kinds of las vegas truck show will be in attendance. For more information go to las vegas truck show
See Ya There!!

Post a Comment